Hi! I’m Héctor, one of the Fandom Community Managers. I’m here to talk with you about the upcoming changes we will experiment on the wikis when the new UCX will be released. As a result, we’ll have to adapt the current content - mainly the design and implemented code - to ensure they’re compatible and operational.
Specifically talking, the UCX will mainly affect the Frontpage, the design (logo, background, favicon, themes), the CSS/JS used and some templates that should adapt their look to it. While the wiki will still be migrated some weeks later, I’m here to work alongside you to anticipate all the work regarding review, improvements and adaptation to the new skin.
If you agree, I’ll start soon, reviewing the mentioned elements and describing to you what work should be done. For the case of the design, I can work with the future version, that will be working once the wiki will be migrated. Regarding the frontpage, templates and the code, I can work and implement the changes now, to have them properly working both in the present and the future, but having all the changes done in advance.
Let me know if you have any comments about it and we can explore together the upcoming changes. Thanks! --CuBaN VeRcEttI (Contact) 18:14, 10 May 2021 (UTC)
- Hi Héctor. Been a bit busy with work stuff of late, but if there's anything I can do to help with the updates (it's been awhile since I've edited the front page) please let me know. — Arirthos (talk) 22:04, 11 May 2021 (UTC)
- Hi! You already know what the work it is, so I'm checking it and I'll see if I can anticipate most of the work. Thanks! --CuBaN VeRcEttI (Contact) 15:50, 19 May 2021 (UTC)
- Good news! I've finished all the work on this wiki. --CuBaN VeRcEttI (Contact) 20:30, 19 May 2021 (UTC)
Hello again! As I also explained to you on the SWTOR Wiki, the opt-in exploration is available to you now! Let me know if you have any comment about my adaptation work here! --CuBaN VeRcEttI (Contact) 20:55, 1 June 2021 (UTC)
- Hey, hey. Looks good so far. The infoboxes look a bit off, however. For example with Chert, Race/Planet/Location looks like a bit of a grey mess. Can we tighten that up a bit, you think?
- Also, it seems my profile no longer exists? Is that a thing with the UCX that each wiki no longer uses the enhanced profile like how I have on the SWTOR wiki — Arirthos (talk) 22:58, 3 June 2021 (UTC)
- What I actually did with the infoboxes, and concretely with the labels background, is using a CSS variable, based in the secondary page background (in other words, the background color for the right rail). I concretely didn't set this color, but others, but it's automatically set by the system to fit with a readable palette. The reason why I did it was to have it compatible with both themes (you can go to the ThemeDesigner and check the infobox is currently compatible with the light theme at the same time). The color looks really well and according to the overall design, but just in case, what color would you prefer?
- Regarding the profile, it seems UserProfile:Arirthos is created and working. AFAIK, as with the Hydra skin, each user could see the UserProfile page or the User page depending their personal preferences set. I personally always try to create a User page in each wiki, even if I have the UserProfile page. --CuBaN VeRcEttI (Contact) 08:51, 4 June 2021 (UTC)
- Interesting. It seems to work rather well with the default light theme (I assume you haven't touched anything on that end at all? Looks like there's no background or anything there, either.), but it looks a bit odd on the dark theme where you have the curved edges on the headings leaving these little dots of black in the infobox between each heading. Not sure if I'm explaining that right.
Broken background on Fandomdesktop and Infobox css stuff
I noticed that on Fandomdesktop, the background image of this wiki (Bg.jpg) is not set properly. Instead, there's just a blue background. Could this possibly be fixed? Another thing that I ran into is that the infobox templates are not portable infoboxes, and should actually be converted. However, there's no CSS formatting for portable infoboxes on the Hydradark skin, therefore I reverted the edit I made on that. Could you perhaps look into this as well? Thanks! — Sumwan (talk) 15:56, 22 July 2021 (UTC)
- So, on Fandomdesktop backgrounds work slightly differently. The background image is set up as the 'Cover' setting in the Theme Designer. Tiling it just doesn't have the same effect.
- I'll have a look at the portable infoboxes, but I haven't had a ton of experience with them. If you have any specific suggestions on what needs to be added, let me know, otherwise I'll do some looking around when I'm off work tomorrow. I might ask CuBaN VeRcEttI if they can provide a bit of insight since they helped with the UCX port over. Not sure on the compatibility with hydradark, though. — Arirthos (talk) 03:49, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah, I'm aware that backgrounds work different on Fandomdesktop, but currently, there's no image at all, which is a real shame because the background image is so nice! Perhaps this link could help? It's a discussion on how to add and format background images on Fandomdesktop. As for the portable infoboxes, I can easily convert our existing infoboxes to portable infoboxes, the only issue is the missing CSS on Hydradark. Fandomdesktop's CSS for portable infoboxes works fine! I'm not sure how you have the CSS set up currently, and I'm not really that knowledgable on this personally, so I really hope that perhaps CuBaN VeRcEttI could help with that. Thanks again for looking into this btw. — Sumwan (talk) 07:01, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- You're not seeing an image at all when you view on FandomDesktop? That's strange. It shows up fine for me as a banner. Have you tried cleaning out your cache/etc to see if it shows up? Let me know before I make any CSS changes.
- Regarding the portable infoboxes.. there would be an issue with adding CSS to Hydradark, because Hydradark is going to be retired once the UCX rollout is complete. If portable infoboxes breaks, it may be in our interest to delay rollout of portable infoboxes until the FandomDesktop is fully live everywhere. — Arirthos (talk) 17:34, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- There's a banner, yes. But other than that, no background image. Perhaps the following images could help show it more clearly? Here is a page on Fandomdesktop and here is the same page on Hydra Dark. Another wiki that I'm active on, the Hollow Knight wiki did carry over the background image from the old skin to Fandomdesktop, with some adjustments. It would be cool if this wiki could do a similar thing, the dark blue background color doesn't really fit that well, in my opinion. As for the portable infoboxes, agreed on delaying it until Hydra Dark is no longer usable. The main disadvantage is that tabbed galleries don't work on the current infoboxes, but that's not a huge issue. — Sumwan (talk) 18:50, 23 July 2021 (UTC)
- Awesome, it looks great now! Thanks for the effort and for fixing this so quickly! — Sumwan (talk) 20:04, 23 July 2021 (UTC)