Thatch was a Nomai originally from the Vessel who landed on Brittle Hollow with Escape Pod 1. Before the Vessel crashed, they used to be the festival envoy for Escall's clan. Thatch's aunt was Melorae who landed in a different escape pod.
After landing on Brittle Hollow, Thatch urged the other Nomai to seek shelter from Hollow's Lantern. When the temporary settlement was established, Thatch recorded all their knowledge of the Eye of the Universe and stressed that the Eye must be found. They also wondered whether the reason that the Vessel crashed in Dark Bramble was a problem with their destination. Initially, Thatch believed that the escape pod survivors should stay close to their pod so they could be rescued. When Plume proposed moving to the northern glacier to build a permanent settlement in order to continue their search for the Eye of the Universe, Thatch changed their mind and supported that idea instead.
Observing the quantum phenomena on Brittle Hollow, Thatch came to the conclusion that the Quantum Moon and the Tower Shard must be related to each other. They became involved in the Eye signal locator on the Attlerock, where they proposed that it is possible that the Eye stopped calling out its signal. After the failure of this locator, Thatch discussed building a new, more sophisticated locator since they were not prepared to give up the search for the Eye that easily.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A thatch roof is one made from dry vegetation.
References[edit | edit source]
- THATCH: Is everyone unharmed? PLUME: No one was badly injured from the escape pod’s impact. We’re incredibly fortunate.
- LAMI: Each clan has a festival envoy to show their most interesting work. (Our envoy was Thatch!)
- THATCH: Is the hardest part of this tragedy not knowing who we may have lost? Or will the hardest part come later, when we learn? (Be well, Aunt Melorae...)
- THATCH: We need to find shelter, and quickly. The volcanic moon won’t be gone for long.
- THATCH: This knowledge is too dear to lose: Here is everything we can recall about the signal we encountered while aboard the Vessel. THATCH: Imagine what rare and profound knowledge it might offer. We must find this Eye of the universe.
- THATCH: I can’t understand. Why did the Vessel crash in that place? THATCH: Suppose it wasn’t a problem with the Vessel, but with our destination.
- THATCH: We need to stay close to the escape pod so Filix can monitor incoming messages. We can’t be rescued if we aren’t present to respond.
- FILIX: I don’t believe anyone is coming to save us, Thatch. Now we must save ourselves. PLUME: I agree. We’re here because the Eye’s signal called to us and we followed. If we’re to find it, we need to not merely survive, but thrive. THATCH: This is a wise point, Plume, and eloquently made. If moving to the northern glacier will keep us safer, then that is what we should do.
- THATCH: Plume, Filix, and I have determined this atypical shard of rock is the reason objects in this grove are behaving in a quantum manner. THATCH: The only other object we’ve observed displaying this quantum behavior is the wandering moon. I imagine the moon’s behavior and this grove’s are related.
- COLEUS: However, something strange is happening when I ask the Eye signal locator to follow the Eye’s signal: The device’s indicator rotates wildly and never points to just one direction. THATCH: This is a curious result. It’s possible the Eye has stopped calling out its signal.
- CASSAVA: It saddens me to posit this, my friends, but I believe we need to build a more sophisticated device if we want to find the exact location of the Eye of the universe. THATCH: Then we will build it. Don’t lose hope, Cassava; our search for the Eye is what brought our clan to this place. We won’t give up so easily! THATCH: Where should this new, more sophisticated locator be built? It may need to be larger than this Eye signal locator is.