|“||If I know my brother, Avens (and his spouse) will want to launch the probe with as much power as possible. I’m worried the cannon would break under the strain.||„|
Memory storage masks
Daz worked with Phlox at the Statue Workshop where he built the memory storage masks. He also helped Phlox create the memory statues which would be linked to the storage units. Daz paired himself with one of these statues to test if it paired to the closest person. When discussing the consequences of sending memories back in time, Daz considered sending memories back in time and physically going back in time to be two different actions. He believed that time being rewritten was different than receiving memories from the future.
Orbital Probe Cannon
In addition, Daz worked with his husband Cassava at the Construction Yard. He helped lift the Orbital Probe Cannon components into orbit, when one of them sank down beneath Giant's Deep's current. Daz discussed with Conoy how it was possible for something to pass through the current, after which Spire constructed a model at the Southern Observatory.
Daz proposed giving his brother Avens and Mallow, who were in charge of the power setting of the Orbital Probe Cannon, a slightly lower maximum power setting than the absolute maximum possible. This was to account for their enthusiasm to find the Eye of the Universe. Daz was happy when the Orbital Probe Cannon was finished but was surprised by Cassava's declaration of gratitude towards everyone involved in building it.
When the Ash Twin Project was put on indefinite hold, Daz and Cassava decided to remain at the Construction Yard together with Avens and Mallow. Their remains can still be found at this location.
- Daz may have been named after the Londaz flower, otherwise known as the Mexican Orange White Dazzler.
- PHLOX: Yarrow, would you kindly step back so Daz is closest to the statue? When pairing, the statue will choose whoever is in closest proximity. PHLOX: ...See how its eyes have opened? That tells us the statue has paired with Daz. Now, no matter where he is in this star system, Daz’s statue will record his memories and send them to the Ash Twin Project.
- DAZ: He has outdone himself again, hasn’t he? And now that we have our first successful pairing, we can test my memory storage prototype.
- DAZ: If I know my brother, Avens (and his spouse) will want to launch the probe with as much power as possible. I’m worried the cannon would break under the strain.
- CASSAVA: Tell Privet and Mallow they should return from the cannon. My spouse and I will remain at the Construction Yard, for now.
- DAZ: Are you going gelatinous on us, love? I’m delighted by your words, but they’re atypical for you! CASSAVA: If I’m ever half as gooey as Mallow and Avens behave together, Daz, you may launch me from the Orbital Probe Cannon.
- YARROW: Phlox and Daz finished the memory statues today, and they are truly remarkable.
- PHLOX: As an example, if we were to send my memories back in time, is that the same as sending “me” back in time (not my physical body, but my essence)? DAZ: I imagine they’re two different actions.
- DAZ: Suppose that time was being rewritten. I believe this is different than receiving memories from what is effectively the future.
- CASSAVA: Conoy, Daz and I were lifting Orbital Probe Cannon components into orbit for assembly, and one somehow sank down down(sic) beneath the current.
- DAZ: Cassava convinced me not to try to recreate the phenomenon myself using other cannon parts, but we’re very curious to know what happened! How could something pass through the current? CONOY: My gratitude for your interesting question! This is exciting: Spire constructed a model of Giant’s Deep here at the Brittle Hollow’s Southern Observatory, and it's revealed how an object might sink below the current.
- DAZ: I propose we give Avens and Mallow a slightly lower maximum power setting than the absolute maximum possible to create room for their enthusiasm.
- CASSAVA: To all my friends here at the Construction Yard, my gratitude for your tireless work. I had given up hope, but I truly believe this cannon may actually succeed where many other attempts have not. DAZ: Are you going gelatinous on us, love? I’m delighted by your words, but they’re atypical for you!
- CASSAVA: I have bad news, Avens. Yarrow says there was a problem with the proposed power source, so the Orbital Probe Cannon won’t be asked to fire. CASSAVA: Tell Privet and Mallow they should return from the cannon. My spouse and I will remain at the Construction Yard, for now. AVENS: An update: Mallow and I will join you and Daz. Privet left to visit her brother. She fears Idaea may feel responsible.