|“||The Vessel’s warp core was created before my time, but Annona explained many of his designs to me.||„|
Annona was a Nomai who was responsible for creating the Warp Core technology. He was a bridge officer together with Filix on Escall's Vessel. His warp core designs were shared with the other Nomai clans at their festivals so that everyone could warp long distances and explore more.
When the Vessel received the signal from the Eye of the Universe, Annona told Escall that the Vessel's warp core will need time to recharge after warping due to the jump being significant. Before warping, Annona and Filix checked the warp core and navigation systems to make sure they functioned properly.
Life on Ember Twin
After the Vessel crashed on Dark Bramble, Annona landed on Ember Twin with Escape Pod 2. He agreed with Melorae that the survivors should build a long-term shelter in the cave system of Ember Twin. Melorae ended up finding a cavern which Annona believed was a wise choice to build the Sunless City. While on Ember Twin, Annona helped build the Quantum Moon locator and observed the moon's quantum properties. Annona also participated in the search for Coleus after he got lost in a cave on Ember's Twin north pole.
He eventually took up Poke as his apprentice, a Nomai who was born in the solar system. Annona explained many of his designs to her, which allowed Poke to recreate his warp technology even after Annona's death.
- The annona genus belongs the Annonacae flowering plant family, commonly known as the custard apple family. The genus is mostly neo- and afrotropical, while the family is largely comprised of both of those groups plus indomalayan species.
- POKE: I believe I can be of use here! The Vessel’s warp core was created before my time, but Annona explained many of his designs to me.
- CLARY: To our friends on Brittle Hollow: I just warped here from the White Hole Station (on the other side of Brittle Hollow’s black hole)! Our design worked; we’ve successfully recreated warp travel! FILIX: This is wonderful news! I can’t wait to see the warp tower (although it’s been a long time since I’ve jumped through a black hole!). POKE: I don’t know how close it is to Annona’s original design, but as long as what we’ve built works, then I’m delighted! I knew we could do it (Cassava, I hope you’re reading this)!
- CLARY: No, but Poke was apprenticed to Annona, who created the original design, and our Black Hole Forge is adept at crafting simpler cores.
- LAMI: At some festivals, one clan’s big discovery can mean all the Nomai get to advance, too. Like Annona’s warp core, which made it so everyone can warp long distances and explore more.
- ESCALL: Annona, is the Vessel ready to warp to the signal’s approximate coordinates? ANNONA: The warp core is powered, but this will be a significant jump. Afterward, we’ll need time to recharge the core.
- FILIX: No, Annona and I checked before the warp, and the warp core and navigation systems were both well.
- ANNONA: We need status reports for all systems, but initial things first: Is everyone unharmed?
- MELORAE: When our escape pod punctured this planet’s surface, it broke into what scans show is a cave system with much cooler air. I would recommend we seek a site down there to build a long-term shelter, Annona, but these passages are a maze! ANNONA: Even with this danger, they are still our best chance for survival. We’ll form teams and descend into the caves to look for a shelter site. We can mark our findings on the walls to avoid becoming irreversibly lost.
- ANNONA: The cavern Melorae found is a wise choice for shelter. Could one of you mark directions for the others to follow?
- ANNONA: The Quantum Moon locator is functioning. We have markers for each of the places the moon goes. ANNONA: I believe so. Not only does the moon appear around Brittle Hollow, I can confirm it sometimes orbits Timber Hearth, as well. ANNONA: Given its reluctance to move while consciously observed, it might be a form of macroscopic quantum mechanics.
- ANNONA: Where was young Coleus lost, Melorae?
- POKE: Was I wrong in volunteering to build it...? I was born in this star system, and never saw Annona’s warp core with my own three eyes.